Locally owned energy projects
The Scottish Government has set ambitious targets to have 1GW of locally owned energy by 2020 and 2GW by 2030 in the Scottish Energy Strategy.
CARES support helps to progress projects with the aim of achieving these targets.
We track the progress towards this target with our searchable map of local energy projects.
We provide free and impartial advice, support, signposting and funding for community groups, rural businesses, social enterprises and other stakeholders to develop local energy projects. This includes:
- Support and advice through our local Development Officers and specialist staff.
- Case studies that highlight the lessons learnt by projects we've supported in the past.
- Funding to take forward projects.
- The CARES toolkit – a downloadable guide
to managing renewable energy projects.
- The Local Energy Marketplace – a directory of suitable
contractors, mentors and investment opportunities.
- Step-by-step guides to progressing locally owned projects, such as
Find out more about the benefits of generating your own energy by watching the film below.