Local Energy Scotland has dedicated support for communities who are exploring Shared Ownership of a renewable energy project.
What is Shared Ownership and how can we help?
Shared ownership is where a community group invests in a privately owned renewable energy project.
Our support includes:
- Local Development Officers and a Shared Ownership Manager
- Grant funding to access professional advice including financial and legal advice
- Good practice principles on Shared Ownership
- A financial model to explore viability
- Working with the Renewable Energy Investment Fund and other funders to explore finance options.
The benefits of Shared Ownership
- Communities get the chance to share in the wealth generated by the renewable resource in their area and create a sustainable income stream that they have control over.
- Developers get the chance to increase community engagement, access incentives such as rates relief and possibly add value to their planning application.
The Scottish Government has an ambitious target for at least half of newly consented renewable energy projects to have an element of shared ownership by 2020.
Get in touch with your Development Officer to see how we can help.